15 November 2008

Fall Treats ~ pumpkin pasties

Part one of what will be a few more posts on fall-themed baking treats (and I mean that -- it's not like I'm asking how you are when I really couldn't care less, heck, I might as well not ask at all, but I sincerely promise two more fall baking posts). I usually make pumpkin muffins, but I've done that so many times in the past that it's become blase. Besides these, I will make the pumpkin scones I've always wanted to try, plus two more that I won't talk about now that have nothing to do with pumpkin.

I've made Pumpkin Pasties before as a treat to snack on while reading the final Harry Potter book. What I particularly enjoy about these is that it's an individual pumpkin pie with a higher proportion of crust to filling than a traditional slice, while not having to commit to a full slice or looking moronic by asking for a slice 3/16th of an inch thick. (That was a totally random number that I've never asked someone to do.)


The filling is doubly spicy since I doubled the amounts, and it's just sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth.



The filling was pretty orange considering I doubled the spices, but something happened when I left it out overnight (covered-like with a piece of plastic wrap) and it no longer had a vibrant color. I can't remember how it looked the last time I made it, though I did refrigerate it.


For the crust I used Martha Stewart's recipe for Perfect Pate Brisee, and it really is perfect, more so because I wasn't afraid of adding too much liquid and the rolling of the dough was a roll of the pin. I did use Smart Balance Butter Blend instead of all butter, mainly out of curiosity and partly because I vary between all-butter and butter-shortening crusts. Unlike a buttery spread, this contains less water. It's like Smart Balances non-hydrogenated shortening they had but discontinued, combined with butter in stick form at a higher price than the shortening.




This may be a little more time consuming than a traditional pie, but it's more fun and is worth the tiny bit of extra effort it takes.

.
I'll get the complaints, mainly that the crust was saltier than normally. I'm thinking it might have been due to the butter blend sticks since I typically use unsalted butter, so I should have decreased the salt in the recipe by half.
Secondly, the filling wasn't orange-hued, rendering those not suitable to the photo process and not as nice for presentation.
Third, I should have refrigerated the filled and crimped turnovers for at least half an hour because the pretty crusts lost their shape.

For the praise, the crust was very flaky and tasted great despite the saltiness (which wasn't too bad). I think of these as the foodie's answer to McDonald's pumpkin pie, seeing as both are similar in that it's more turnover than actual pie, and it can travel really well.

What to do with any leftover filling? I've forgotten all about mine and it's in the fridge somewhere, but some ideas are stirring it into a bowl of oatmeal, using it to make pumpkin shakes, or topping with toasted pecans and whipped cream and eating it as a crustless dessert.



Pumpkin Pasties
Recipe from Britta.com

Makes about 3 dozen miniature pasties.

Ingredients

  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten

  • 3/4 cup sugar

  • 1 1 lb. can pumpkin

  • (or 2 cups fresh, roasted in the oven then pressed
    through a strainer)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

  • 1 tsp. cinnamon

  • 1/2 tsp. ginger

  • 1/2 tsp. allspice

  • 1/4 tsp. cloves

  • I added a few gratings of fresh nutmeg

  • 1 2/3 cups evap. milk (1 can)

  • 9 oz pie crust pastry (enough for two single standard pie crusts)

  • 1 egg, beaten (for brushing turnovers)

  • Extra sugar for sprinkling

Directions
  1. Combine filling ingredients and whisk until combined. Bake the pie filling only (no crust) in a large, lightly greased, casserole dish in hot oven (425°) for 15 minutes. Keep oven door closed and reduce temp to moderate (350°) and continue baking for 40-45 minutes or until table knife inserted in center of dish comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

  2. Make or purchase pie crust pastry. Roll thin and cut into circles approx 4" in diameter. Put a spoonful of the cool pumpkin mixture towards one side of the center of the circle. Fold over the crust into a half-circle and firmly crimp the edges closed. Slice three small slits in the top for venting, place on a greased cookie sheet, brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar, and bake only until crust is a light golden-brown. (For this stage, I increased the oven temperature to 400°.) Great served at room-temperature, then you don't have to worry about your guests possibly burning their mouths from the steaming hot pumpkin inside!

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. The pasties look and sound perfect to me!! :-)

    So glad to see you posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look so tasty!! especially with that scoop of ice cream :) i didn't even know mcd's had pumpkin pie, but i'd MUCH rather have one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only are these photos gorgeous, the pasties look DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listen Chris my pal, those are beautiful. If someone complained at all, I could pastie their face... but, they prob deserved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. VeggieGirl - Thanks! It's like a preview of Thanksgiving pie.

    Yes, I'm trying to get back into a rhythm again.

    TTFN - The ice cream was a nice addition, especially with the caramel drizzled on top!

    Sweet Potato - Thank you very much :)

    Adam - Listen, no one is allowed to call me Chris. =P

    Heh, that would be funny to see a 'pie in the face' but with these instead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the extra spice category too! And Pumpkin Pasties sound like wonderful twist on the Yooper snackfood of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is way cute! And seeing as how I'm going through a pie crust obsession... I might make these very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHere is this recipe??!! IT looks delish :-*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sam - I even add extra spices when I make hot spiced cider!

    Mary - Definitely, it's the perfect snack-between-meals.

    HtEaC - You MUST!

    Lee - It really was delicious! And the recipe is at the end of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am kind of scared to try these!
    (It's not the recipe, but during the course of cooking, I lost my appetite for pumpkin ANYTHING!)

    Fortunately, they came out looking amazing and they smell amazing, so they have to be AMAZING!


    Thank you for the wonderful & fun alternative to boring ol' pupmkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your thoughts are appreciated! ^,^

~Christina

Blogger Template Created by pipdig