23 July 2010

White Chocolate-Macadamia Cookies with Dried Cherries and Coconut


I made these cookies a while ago to use the macadamia nuts and dried cherries I got, two ingredients made for cookies. My mind went to the classic white chocolate-macadamia cookie, though my additions included the dried cherries and also coconut chunks. I saw the coconut at the store and it was probably the best purchase I've made in a while. The chunks have more of the raw coconut taste without being overly sweetened like the flakes you buy in the baking aisle.

My only problem was the base -- which recipe did I want to use as the platform? I wanted a chewier cookie with a lot of depth of flavor. I haven't yet tried the NYT chocolate chip cookie and I thought about trying that recipe, but then I remembered a chocolate chip cookie recipe from Sugar Plum that I hadn't yet tried. The recipe includes brown butter and softened butter, and I went ahead and added a teaspoon of instant yeast as per her previous recipes. The other reason I tried this was because I had recently made a cookie where I made sugared pecans to add to the dough, and Emily did the same here (which is what stood out to me about the recipe the first time I read it).

So you have awesomeness, and it's amped up, all in the same cookie! Things I've noted about this recipe:

It makes A TON of dough. When I cook these, I use a mere 2 tablespoons, but you still get a decently sized cookie. Added bonus, you have a crapton of dough left in the fridge to cook up fresh batches whenever you want a cookie.

Yesterday, I accidentally overcooked these cookies. I baked them for 16 minutes instead of 11. However, the cookies haven't really been baking well at just 11 minutes so I was always planning on increasing the cooking time, just not by 5 minutes. But even when thoroughly browned (not burnt) and looking like it'd come out crispy, the added toastiness really allowed the flavors to come through even more. To make things better, they still were a bit chewy. Good to know, because I never would have baked these that long and I never would have known what I was missing out on.

I sprinkle salt on my cookies. A few grains. I've played around with regular kosher salt, and bamboo jade sea salt. Whatever you use, use a coarse salt. You will not be disappointed.

That's all I have to say about that.

SHARE:

22 comments

  1. The coconut and cherry addition is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :drool:

    Happy to report my mom actually just sent me some yummy cookies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you saved some for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salt and cookies are a match made in heaven! Who woulda' thought?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! The salt idea is killer! Mmmmm, what a genius combination of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bamboo jade salt? Never head of this, but now I must have it! Very nice blog...I've been trolling it for a few weeks now and think we must be kindred runners..ha!...I have gained close to 10 pounds in 8 months from post-Twin Cities Marathon eating. But despite my caloric crackdown, my inner foodie will never die :) Thanks for the recipe recommendations and giveaway alerts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the combo here--my hubby would be all over these! I wish macadamia nuts weren't so $$$! I might have to splurge :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaay! They look amazing! I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this recipe, and will add it to my "Best macadamia Nut Recipes" blog over at Squidoo! I Used Hawaii macadamia nuts for this recipe. I get mine from www.maunakeagold.com. In my opinion, Hawaii produces the best Mac Nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, I discovered your web site by means of Google while searching for a similar subject, your website got here up, it seems good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seo Guest Posting
    The Android Apk
    The Android Apk Blog is a source of unique content realted to Apk, Seo, Technology & Digital Marketing

    ReplyDelete
  12. SEO write for us

    that is really an good matter that you are waiting for the people decisions

    ReplyDelete
  13. accept cases throughout Florida on a contingent Lifestyle Write For Us

    ReplyDelete

  14. Your blog is amazing it gives so much ideas and information.
    Lifestyle write for us

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your loveable post. i like this concept. keep sharing Game Write for us

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this amazing article, https://cinetuxx.com/ it is very informative post good work keep it up.


    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your thoughts are appreciated! ^,^

~Christina

Blogger Template Created by pipdig